Creating User Groups

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere but I have looked around and not found anything.

I am looking to build something based heavily on the notion of closed user groups. I would need to be able to create a group, allow others to join it somehow, and then share data among the group members but not allow that data to be accessed by users who are not in that specific group. Small bits of data, think one or two words, a date, etc.

I am really not sure how to do this. I have thought about generating an ID of sorts when the group is created which the creator would distribute to others, allowing them to use it when they launch for the first time but that seems decidedly inelegant.

Is there something that makes sense that I am missing? Some platform capability I don’t know about as a relative newcomer? A way to send an invitation to other users by email address, perhaps?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

you wanna create closed group for using a skill or creating a skill?

for using a skill for limited members, there are some ways but generally the most “elegant” is to use account linking.

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/account-linking/understand-account-linking.html

Voiceflow supports Alexa account linking but you need to have some external authentication system for it and it should supports OAuth2.

there are several services which supports OAuth2 authentication and you can manage user accounts.

• Auth0
  • Amazon Cognito

If you have just started Voiceflow and are not familiar with these words such as OAuth2, account linking might be tough one. There might be some other ways which are easier, I think. But,

I am really not sure how to do this. I have thought about generating an ID of sorts when the group is created which the creator would distribute to others, allowing them to use it when they launch for the first time but that seems decidedly inelegant.

Is there something that makes sense that I am missing? Some platform capability I don’t know about as a relative newcomer? A way to send an invitation to other users by email address, perhaps?

Unfotunately, Alexa as a platform gives just authentication with other system and use its user data, not including every process such as registering a new user and sending an e-mail. That means you have to create something by your own, inside/outside of a skill.

Could you simply use a group name and password that have to be entered when the use first accesses the skill ?

Hi,

Sorry stepped away for a few weeks! :slight_smile:

RobM - I could do that but it isn’t very user friendly. I am looking to create a private social network of sorts where people are invited in by current members. Some sort of in app mechanism to handle that, invitations, etc. would be nicer I think.

Thanks,

Steve