How do I set parameters in an Airtable API call?

Anyone know how to configure parameters to retrieve Airtable records? The video tutorial is out of date. The tutorial shows a simple copy/past tool, but that doesn’t exist now. The API connection is successful, I just can’t capture the data and save to a variable. I’m missing something but I see no documentation in video tutorials or dev docs on exactly what I’m supposed to put in the parameters or capture to be able to save it as a variable and speak it back to the customer (I’m trying to retrieve strings from an airtable base).

Hi Nicolle - Here is an example I did recently. With the Airtable Get API call, the “Parameters” API function can be used to request a specific instance as shown in the image blow where I am using a filterByFormula feature of Airtable requesting a record indexed by the day of the year today’s date, which was calculated earlier in the voiceflow canvas. I hope this helps you.

Use this link to give it a spin.

Thanks so much, that’s definitely clarifying! And it worked! Do you by chance know how I’d set the variable to make it pull a random field from the list? I don’t think I can do it in the API block. But curious how I might do it.

Annnnd figured out to how to randomize the responses from my Airtable call. In case anyone is curious I followed these instructions: Voiceflow Javascript Code Block: Random Number Generator: One through a specified Maximum Value – voices.app

Goal: Generate a random response from a list of airtable responses (I didn’t want to host them in my VF convo because there are so many of them and it’s easier to update them in Airtable than VF).

I added a number column to my airtable (the other column contains the text responses)
I created two variables: maxNo and randomNo
I set maxNo to the max number of records using the set block
I set randomNo using the javascript in the instructions above using the condition block

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 11.10.04 PM
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 11.11.41 PM

Then used the randomNo variable in the API call to Airtable. Had no idea I could do that, completely pleased with it.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 11.12.07 PM

I

Pretty slick! Nice work!