Skip speak block

I’m trying to see if there’s a way to skip a speak block if the intent has already been triggered (this way Alexa doesn’t say it twice)

Example; I want to have a speak block when the user is ending their session “before you go, here are today’s specials”

But I also want to have “today’s special” as intent, if the user asks “can you tell me about today’s special” it triggers the intent/speak block

If the intent has been triggered, it needs to skip the “today’s special” speak block when ending their session - or - trigger speak block if user never asked about special

set a variable, let’s say “special_triggered” to 1, after “today’s special” intent has been triggered. Then check it with condition block speak block when ending.

one thing to remember: voiceflow variable is persistent as default, that means that variable holds the value between sessions. so maybe you need to initialize that variable in the beginning of your flow, or use a flow variable which is not persistent.

I see, so if variable 0 then speak, if 1 then skip, and use ‘flow variable’ so that it refreshes each session

Do you know if when a variable is left blank (via google sheet integration) will it move on to the next speak block? e.g. let’s say a restaurant leaves the “today’s special” blank

Right!

Do you know if when a variable is left blank (via google sheet integration) will it move on to the next speak block? e.g. let’s say a restaurant leaves the “today’s special” blank

when there is no data matched in google sheets, it returns undefined. so you can check {var} == undefined using condition block. I’m not sure if there’s a difference between blank and not match. you can try.