Using a RSS feed to make a Podcast Skill

Hello, normally it’s not something that block the execution of your skill but you can ping us on Intercom to try to fix this.

I am testing this podcast skill with my feed. When I invoke the skill with its name, latest episode starts playing. It’s episode 104 (episodes are numbered from 001 to 104). When I say “Alexa, previous”, though, episode 095 starts playing. How come?

Hi, ping us on Intercom, we will have a look at your skill :+1:t2:

Hi Nicolas,

thanks.

Hi Nicolas,

I am having some problems to certify the skill following your tutorial. I received this answer:

The skill does not exit/respond appropriately when users say “cancel".

Steps To Reproduce:
User: “Alexa, cancel”
Skill: “Alexa will say this message when the user says, stop!”

Can you help me with this issue?

Thanks!

Hi, can you contact us on Intercom so we can check your skill and find a solution for this?

Is there a video explaining this process?

No, only text for now @baksab

Bit confused.
In trying to generate a json in the block from the RSS feed, I noticed that the RSS Feed you entered into the online Converter to make a json does not match the RSS feed url you entered into the endpoint to generate the json. One works, one doesn’t .
What am I missing here?
Thanks.

Yes, you don’t need to encode the url anymore in the Integration block, that’s why the article has been updated with the new url.

1 Like

@Nicolas Thank you for this tutorial. I’m getting an error at the loop stage in voiceflow, but I can’t find what’s causing it. Can you help?

Hi Gabe, I will need some infos, can you ping me on Intercom?

HI Nicolas.
We have a podcast on Spreaker, and your code works well with this platform but there is an issue with commands during the stream.
The stop command doesn’t work properly. The voice response isn’t played at all (so it’s impossible to certificate the skill).
Custom commands don’t work at all (the stream continue after the command).

Moreover, is it possible to add a “Pause” command?

Our skill is in italian.

Thanks for this fantastic tutorial and for your help.

Hi @Nicolas.
I’m trying to adapt the code for a Wordpress RSS feed.
Code works only for Title and Description.
I modified the j_stream variable’s name to jsonResponse.
When I try to add contents = []; and contents[a] = jsonResponse.items[a].content; in the first Code block and cContent = contents[current]; in the second Code block, there’s an error (the error is in the second code block).
What’s wrong?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @fortarrigo! Did you fix you code or do you still need help on this?

Hi Nicolas.
Probably the issue concerns the JSON response.
If I try to test the integration in VF, there’s an error (response is too long).

Just a question: with the code used to build the podcast skill, is it normal that the stream block plays all audio files without selecting the Loop command in Stream block’s dialog window?

I’d like to play one file, then the user can choose if wants to listen to the next file. Is it possible?
Thanks for your reply.

Have a nice day.

my I get this code as a pre-set, that I only need adapt rss-feed-urls and variable settings?